Exigence - or - Why I Felt the Need to Create this Blog

12 August 2012.

Wow. 6th Edition is here, and I feel like it incorporated many facets of our house rules here are the Lower Register.

Go us. GW, you can have those for free.

Plz look for some updates soon as I try to figure out how my precious BA will fit in to the world of Overwatch and Random Charging distances. Gotta say, so far, I am loving the idea of 5 attacks per Death Company Marine (2 base, 2 for charging, 1 for extra weapon).


-Hax out-

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Why Lower Register? Pedro and I started playing various wargames about five years ago, but found that we just didn't have time to complete standard games. We, along with our limited pool of playing partners, decided that we would become good at skirmish games that we could enjoy on a regular basis. So, over time we amassed a body of experience in Kill Team, Warmachine, Infinity, and other such games. This blog is the natural outgrowth of that experience, and our desire to share it with you all.

Sunday, October 9, 2011

WarMachine 2 Player Battle Box

As the Lower Register is a blog that focuses on miniature gaming of a less time consuming construct, I Pedro thought that it would be suitable to explore other gaming genres outside the monopolistic grip of Games Workshop. Don't get me wrong, I love the universe that GW has put together, but it is the only thing that I have known for the first 2 or so years I have been playing and quite honestly I don't any better.

With that being said, a perfect opportunity to dip my "dice" into another arena presented itself with the recent release of the Warmachine 2 player boxed set by Privateer Press. The number one reason that I even began looking into Warmachine, as I must attest here on the Lower Register, is that the games appear to be significantly shorter and contain a lot less models. Being able to play a game in 45 minutes is exactly what we are looking for here on the L.R. and Warmachine seems to fit that mold perfectly.

In addition to the low points cost I have also read several articles online and from what I have seen the game play is very straight forward and balanced, which is a far cry from WH40k (cough..Tau..cough). In fact many current WM players are 40k converts have tasted the excitement of steam powered mayhem and haven't looked back since.

Oh yeah, and who isn't interested in a game that demands you to "Play like you have a pair!"

What's Inside the Box?


  • Introduction To Warmachine Guide
  • Quick Start Guide
  • Mini Official Rule book
  • Mini No Quarter Magazine (Privateer Press version of White Dwarf)
  • 12" Ruler
  • 9 Protectorate of Menoth Resin Models
  • 8 Khador Resin Models
  • 17 character cards
  • (6) six-sided dice
The Paperwork

So my initial reactions to the set was that it really hit the mark on what I believe is the target audience for this product, a complete Warmachine noob! Not only does it give you a full rule book, but the Introduction Guide gives you a great overview of the Iron Kingdom Universe.

The Rulebook is intuitive to navigate and is pretty good quality, although I think that I may wear through it pretty quickly and may have to go after the hardback version before too long.

The Introduction Guide is exactly what a noob like myself needs in order to get a feel for the Warmachine universe. It explains the overall theme of each faction (the Khador and Protectorate more so than the others) and even goes into the Hordes factions, a little cross-sell thank you very much!

No Quarter Magazine has the same purpose of White Dwarf, except this publication seemed to be alot more well balanced. Every issue seems to have the same format (latest releases, tactics, hobby section, battle report) all getting the same amount of coverage. What I didnt see is a magazine that is completely devoted to flavor of the month like White Dwarf tends to end up being. Every No Quarter issue can be useful any Iron Kingdoms player.

After bringing myself up to speed on the general universe I was pretty excited to break into the models! Now I must admit, I am more into this hobby because of the modeling and painting, so I was really interested in seeing some what the other side of the fence had to offer. Just let me tell you Privateer Press did not disappoint!

The Models

Let me just say that these models far exceeded my expectations. First off they were not on sprues, which meant no clipping and filing! Secondly there were minimal mold lines, so again minimal clean up required. Lastly they were made of high quality resin and the detail was amazing.

Not really know what I was getting into I had to somewhat justify spending the cash on this set, so from an investment stand point I also looked at the individual retail cost of the models if they were purchased standalone.

Khador $122.96
2 Heavy Warjacks 2x $34.99
Shocktrooper Squad $44.99
Warcaster $7.99

Protectorate of Menoth $145.95
2 Heavy Warjacks 2x $34.99
Light Warjack $18.99
Exemplar Cinerators $44.99
High Exemplar Kreoss $11.99





















First Impressions

Overall I am extremely pleased with the box set. I think that Privateer Press did a great job putting such a valuable introduction to the game on the market. This move will surely add to the already rapidly growing fan base. I for one look forward to delving into the mechanics of the game and also putting a brush on these models! Please stayed tuned as I will share my stage by stage painting of these wonderful models, and Hax and I battle it out with a couple of test games during what he is calling "Orktober Feast".


No comments:

Post a Comment